ESIL Interest Group History of International Law

ESIL Interest Group History of International Law

Thursday 7 March 2019

CONFERENCE REPORT: Politics and the Histories of International Law (Heidelberg, MPIL, 15-16 FEB 2019)

(image source: ESCLH Blog)

The ESCLH Blog published a conference report on the JHIL/MPIL conference Politics and the Histories of International Law (see programme earlier on this blog).

First paragraph:
Telling a history of international law is every time a mode of echoing oneself in the present. The danger of a single story and its oppressive force to identities and peoples that are misrepresented or not represented in it have been stressed in recent years by many scholars, but not only them. It was perhaps most remarkably and famously spelled out by the Nigerian novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in a TED talk already ten years ago: “I loved these American and British books I have read [as a child], they stirred my imagination and opened up new worlds for me. But their unintended consequence was that I did not know that people like me could exist in literature.”
Read more on the ESCLH Blog.